Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bella's 3rd birthday

First I have to say that I cannot believe that I have been lucky enough to make Bella's birthday sweets for the third year in a row! It has been such a joy to be a part of her life from day one. She really makes me feel like I have a niece of my own to spoil :)


She had a princess themed tea party. 

I loved all the place settings :)

These were a few of the other sweets we enjoyed :)
Macarons by me and the rest by James' mother!


All the girls got to dress up in fancy dresses and have tea and crumpets. So this year I got to make her cake more grown-up than cutesy. I tried many new techniques with this cake that I have read about and watched videos but haven't had the right opportunity to try. Well I decided that sugar flowers were no longer allowed to scare me! I tackled the project head on and literally dived into making these bad boys. I started with white just to get the technique down. I made one of those and I was off... and after hours of sitting at that table I was finally finished :)

Then I had to bake the cake! I used a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream to keep the cake simple and kid friendly. The boys were excited to take a huge bite out of each and every one of the roses! Don't worry, I stopped them at one. WAY too much sugar in them!

That was probably one of the best feelings of accomplishment I have had with cake so far... until I put the cake together!


I loved making it and I loved how it came out! I can't wait to use these new techniques again!

I also used royal icing as a way to border the layers and decorate the teacup.

No comments:

Post a Comment