Sunday, January 2, 2011

Love This.


Nothing could make me happier right now than staring at my shiny brand new KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Nothing besides using it, that is. So what recipe should I make to christen my beautiful new kitchen accessory... "Xtra-Special" Celebration Cake from the Gold Medal Alpha-Bakery cookbook from James' Childhood.


James told me how he used to skip school and stay home and bake with his mom when he was younger. He made almost all the recipes from this book, but hasn't been able to find the book in years. The "Xtra-Special" Celebration Cake was one he would make for his sister's birthday. I knew this was a cookbook I wanted to have for my kids. So I went online and found one of the only 3 used copies up for sale. 

Step one: Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. (In this recipe, sugar counts as dry)


Step Two: Add wet ingredients to the bowl of your stand mixer.


Step Three: Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.


It should look something like this. Smooth with no lumps.


Step Four: Fill cupcakes about 2/3 full. Bake @ 350 for 18-22 minutes. (I wanted to make cupcakes, so I reduced the time and kept checking them to see if they were done.


When I brought them over to his house, his sister could tell just from the smell that it was the same recipe from that cookbook and their childhood. I was amazed. I would love to show the finished product, but they went so fast I couldn't even get a picture! The original recipe can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment