Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game!

Now, I'm not saying I support the team... I'm a Met's fan, born and raised. But I will say that I think this Yankees cake was pretty darn fun to make!

I haven't been able to find that perfect yellow cake recipe yet. So if anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them. This one was pretty good, but I'm not going to settle here :)


Start with creaming the butter.


The batter looked really nice when it was all mixed together.


They were definitely nice and golden when they came out of the oven.


Then you have to give it a nice crumb coat.


The beginnings of the decorations. This got me really excited.


I got to use my Cricut cake cutter for the first time! I know some people thing that this is cheating, but it really is a lot of hard work. You have to use gum paste and make sure that it isn't too sticky before using the machine, otherwise it likes to clump up and won't make clear cuts.


This side of the cake I had to cut out by hand. So that makes up for using the Cricut on the other side, in my opinion. It was really rewarding to make a well-known logo out of fondant like that and have it look pretty darn close to the real thing.




Here is the finished product... but wait, you haven't gotten to see my favorite part yet...
THE TOP!


pretty believable...huh!


So here's the whole finished product!


And the delivery. I prefer to travel with my creations safely on my lap.


And here's me, the perfectionist, making sure I touch it up before the birthday boy sees it... in the back of the car!



No comments:

Post a Comment